In September 1880 the first tins of fish were turned out by C.Tuckey & Co’s Peel Inlet Preserving Works. The first fish canned were sea mullet caught by sieve nets in large quantities between September and March in the estuary and along the coast. Fishermen were paid seven to eight shillings for each 100 fish delivered to the cannery.
The artwork (1998) charmingly acknowledges ‘the early pioneering days’ of Western Australia’s commercial fishing industry and is made of cast bronze.
Artwork Title: The Fisherman. Artist: Mary Knott.
(Source : Tourist Brochure)